Sunday, August 22, 2010

3rd Grade Rocks!!!

Wow! It was so exciting to meet you all at Orientation on Friday. I am really looking forward to a wonderful year together in third grade. I can't wait to start our hard (but also super fun) work together down on the farm. I'm really looking forward to us all getting to know each other better.

Here is something that I spent time doing this summer that might help you get to know me better. I love traveling and going on adventures with friends. This summer I spent some time in California, and I was lucky enough to find some super scientific things there.

1. General Sherman
Maybe you're thinking that General Sherman is a person...you'd be wrong (that's what I thought at first, too)! General Sherman is a tree! So, why would people want to go see a tree? Because it's a special tree. Let me tell you some of the cool stuff I learned. General Sherman is the most massive tree on Earth. He is over 275 feet tall and is over 2,000 years old! He is a Giant Sequoia and is located in a national park where many other sequoias grow.
There were hundreds of people hiking around in the forest when I was there, so it was really hard to get a nice photo of myself in front of General Sherman, but here is a photo of me standing INSIDE another one of the sequoias nearby.

I also saw trees so huge that tunnels had been made in them so you could drive your car inside the trunk and out the other side. I could never imagine doing that with the trees we have around here. On the way out of the park, I also stopped near a tree that had fallen during a storm. It is called the Auto Log because you used to be able to drive your auto, or car, right onto it. Now it is decaying, so that would be too dangerous, but you can still pose for a picture.


2. The second super scientific thing I did was visit the La Brea tar pits in Los Angeles. Check out the link to learn more. They have a cool glass bubble where you can watch scientists work on piecing together some of the animal skeletons that have been found during excavations of the pits. Here is a cool photo that I took of some of the wolf skulls that have been found in the tar pits.
And here's how I compare to the height of a bear, which is good to know! If I had any plans to tell a bear who is boss, now I know that's not a good idea!


Well, those are just some of the things I did this summer. I can't wait to hear about all the cool things you did over the summer. Have you ever been to any of the places I described above? Do you ever want to go? If so, be sure to leave me a post, and of course, if you have questions about my adventures, I'd be happy to tell you more!

See you at school tomorrow. Go to bed early, and don't forget to eat a big, yummy breakfast. We are going to have an absolutely awesome time!

1 comment: