Wednesday, December 2, 2009

Alternative Energy Sources

When most of us think about how we would light up a light bulb, plugging it in or using a battery come to mind. Similarly, when asked how you would heat up water, many people would think of using a stove or possibly solar energy. Not many of us would think of a lemon or a peanut as a source of energy. BUT....they are! Here are some links to some fun experiments you can try at home to explore this concept. If you try them, make sure to write up a lab sheet (like the awesome one on the Jazz Standard wall that Emily made about the swinging cereal from the Bill Nye video) so we can share your scientific findings with the class.

Lemon Power!

Peanut Power!

3 comments:

  1. Wow I never thought of using food sources as to heat or light things.:-)

    Dhavin

    ReplyDelete
  2. Me either! Are you planning to try one of these experiments sometime soon?

    :) Miss P

    P.S. Thanks for letting me borrow your book on electricity. I learned lots of cool facts.

    ReplyDelete
  3. you are welcome. I gave Mrs. Nash my reading/writing one to borrow too.I am planing to do the experiments during winter break but when I do I will write up a lab sheet so every one can see what I observed....

    Dhavin:)
    p.s. when does winter break even start?

    ReplyDelete